No 13 Broad Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Jersey houses

No 13 Broad Street, St Helier

Although of classical design, this was an entirely new building in 1971

Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

A 19th century photograph with No 13 in the middle. It is clear that the original facade influenced the design of the 1971 rebuild

Property name

No 13 Broad Street

Other names

Hambros Bank


Broad Street, St Helier

Type of property

Former townhouse rebuilt as a modern bank in 1971


Sold for £800,000 in 2005

Families and businesses associated with the property

This property became a bank in the 1960s, when Hambros moved in, eventually having the property replaced with a new structure. For over a century before it was home to printers and publishers and was an important address in the history of newspapers in Jersey.

The earliest available records show bootmaker John Ching trading there in 1834. The 1841 census shows that he was born in England in about 1803. He married Susanne Norman (1801- ) in 1823 and they had eight children, Susan (1824- ), John (1826- ), Joseph (1827- ), Richard (1830- ), Emma (1829- ), George (1834- ), William (1839- ) and Alfred (1840- ).

By 1852 Henry Fauvel (1809- ) had established the first printing works at No 13, and was also publishing the British Press and Weekly News. His wife, Rosamond, nee Wodams, was a professor of music and the couple had eight children between 1836 and 1858.

This was an affluent family but it appears that Henry Fauvel did not do well out of the merger of his newspaper with the Jersey Times in 1860. He and his family left Broad Street and moved to 26 Simon Place, where Henry was listed in the 1861 census as a clerk. His wife was still a music teacher. Ten years later they were in Great Union Road - probably a step back up the social ladder - and Henry, aged 61, was described as an annuitant. Their daughter Emmeline, and a granddaughter Emily, were living with Henry and Rosamond. In 1881 Henry, Rosamond and Emmeline were at Hope Lodge, Chevalier Road, and Henry was described as a retired professor of languages. The family had moved again by 1891, to 40 Midvale Road, and Emmeline, aged 50, was still living with her parents.

The subsequent history of No 13 is the history of the two newspapers and two printer/publishers who formed an influential partnership, although one was much more influential in the St Helier community than the other. Further details can be found on our pages devoted to the British Press and Jersey Times and the Jersey Express and Channel Islands Advertiser.

When the Jersey Express folded, Edmund Carrel, one of its joint proprietors, left Broad Street and moved to live at First Tower, where he was described in the 1901 census as a journalist and author. Although they do not appear in almanac listings, printers J T Bigwood and W J Blampied were established at 13 Broad Street from at least 1886, and would remain there until the 1960s. Although some almanacs show the General Post Office at No 13, this is believed to be an error, because it was established at No 15 in 1909. Bigwoods were printers for the States for most of the time they were in business.

In 1855, G D Stuart was advertising as a 'general engraver and copper plate printer' at 13½ Broad Street, 'adjoining the British Press office'.


Historic Environment Record entry

Not a listed building. A three-storey, four-bay building, principally 1971 reconstruction, but incorporating the original party wall to No 15 with 18th century granite chimney stack and water cistern, Also reset datestone

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs