No 14 Broad Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


14 Broad Street, St Helier


H22No14BroadStreet.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

Property name

14 Broad Street

Location

Broad Street, St Helier

Type of property

1935 shop and storage floors above with penthouse flat on fourth floor

Valuations

No recent transactions

Families and businesses associated with the property

There have been businesses at this location for at least 100 years before the present building was constructed. Hairdresser D Le Cornu was at No 14 in 1833, followed by shoemaker Benjamin Retallick (1796- ) and his wife Mary, nee Hamon, in 1841. They had eight children. After the death of her husband, Mary Retallick traded as a stay and corset maker. Although she was still listed at the premises in the 1852 Post Office directory, the previous year's census showed the Goff family there. They were William, born in Alderney in 1801, his dressmaker wife Margaret, nee Gallienne (1803- ), daughter Ann (1829- ), also a dressmaker, and grandson James (1844- ).

An 1859 advertisement shows boot and shoe retailer Philip William Benham having opened an outlet at No 14, stretching through to 57 King Street behind.

For a time the two properties were again occupied separately, with eating house proprietor George Greensill at No 14 in 1871, followed by tailor J Johnston and E Becquet's Light and Heat Depot in 1880. In 1886 William Roses's substantial tea retail business occupied 12 and 14 Broad Street, backing on to 55 and 57 King Street. For a short time a 14½ Broad Street was listed, occupied by W W Woods. In 1895 Mrs Selina Stevens' fancy repository occupied Nos 12 and 14. Then George Lewis' hair salon ran through from King Street to Broad Street in the 1900s and '10s, before the Dubras family took over the whole property, remaining there into the 1970s and beyond.

In 1941 Leon Lucien Louis Dubras (1898- ), his wife Binda, née Blampied (1899- ) and their sons Henri Leon Dubras (1924- ) and Maurice Francis (1939- ) were living here

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

This 1930s building retains its external character and provides an unusual contribution to the rhythm and scale of the street. Designed in 1935, architect C W Blanchard Bolton. Four-storey, fourth floor set back, two-bay.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs