No 14 Royal Square

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Historic Jersey buildings


14 Royal Square


H22No14RoyalSquare.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

No 14 is the third building from the right

Property name

14 Royal Square

Location

Royal Square, St Helier

Type of property

Former town house associated with the Patriarche family. Early 19th century retail outlet, then divided into residential units and offices. From 1960 to 1990 perfumers Au Caprice had a shop here stretching through to King Street

Families associated with the property

  • An 1837 business directory shows P Falle, bookseller and stationer, trading here

Census returns

  • 1861 - John Anthoine (47) former mill worker, born in Newfoundland; Marie (33), daughter Amelia Jane (4)
  • 1871 - John Amy (50), master mariner, with wife Jane (45) and six children
  • 1881 - Philip Beaugie (43) shipwright, Ann (45), 2 sons, 2 daughters
  • 1891 - Charles Stone (35) hairdresser, Ann Eliza (34), three daughters

Almanac listings

  • 1874 - F Hawksworth, English solicitor. Gibaut, Moses and James, solicitors
  • 1880 - G H Ferry, the Eton Toilet Club, chiropodist. Gibaut, Moses and James
  • 1886 - P J Huelin, Philip Beaugie
  • 1890 - P J Huelin, J E Pinel, C W V Stone
  • 1895-1900 - John Syvret
  • 1905 - A Carter; W Bower
  • 1910-1915 - W Bower; James Muirhead
  • 1920-1930 - J Tregear
  • 1925-1930 - Bois and Bois; E F Le Gresley (from 1935)
  • 1935-1940 - E Thomson
  • 1950-1955 - G W Bedell
  • 1960-1990 - Au Caprice

Historic Environment Record entry

Rare survival in town of a late 17th century building, with possible earlier origins. The consistent height, proportions and materials of this row of early buildings is a fine enclosure to the north side of Royal Square. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Brett [1] refers to Nos 13 and 14 being built between 1676 and 1699 and 'forming the Patriarche's [2] La Maison du Marché,' , although a pre-Reformation lavabo removed from this property and donated to St Simon's Church in 1866 suggests earlier origins. Renovated and raised one storey by 1716.

Three-storey with attic, three-bay. Front elevation: pantile roof, granite chimney with large cornice on east party wall.

Notes and references

  1. Buildings in the town and parish of St Helier, C E B Brett
  2. This is presumably a reference to the Patriarche family. The Rev J A Messervy's history of the family refers to several of their properties, but fails to mention any in the Royal Square. Brett suggests that Nos 13 and 14 were built together (they are hardly a matching pair) and that Nos 15 and 16 to their east were built for Patriarche sons. Although the two volumes of Old Jersey Houses have passing references to the Patriarche family and to Royal Square properties, there is nothing connecting the two
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs