No 16 Hill Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Historic Jersey buildings


16 Hill Street, St Helier


H24No16HillStreet.png



Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

F21HillStreet2.jpg

Property name

16 Hill Street

Location

Hill Street, St Helier

Type of property

1748 Georgian town house

Valuations

Sold for £1 million in 2008

Datestones

  • IP 1748, for Jean Perrochon

Families and businesses associated with the property

  • Moyse Corbet, owner of the land, sold in 1746
  • John Perrochon, who built the property




Almanac listings

  • 1874: G H Hamon, Her Majesty's Solicitor-General
  • 1880: A Hotton, cabinet maker
  • 1886-1890: A Hotton. P Falla, solicitor
  • 1895: P Falla
  • 1900: E M Hotton, P Falla, G A Piquet
  • 1905-1915: P Falla, G A Piquet, C S Le Gros, A J Gruchy, G P Crill, G de G Ahier
  • 1920: P Falla, G A Piquet, C S Le Gros, A J Gruchy, H Clark, Crill and Benest, A Lee Hellio, W Kitcher
  • 1925: P Falla, E Coutanche, O Mourant, C S Le Gros, Crill and Benest, W Kitcher, E P Hellyer
Advocate Peter Falla in his office
  • 1925: P Falla, E Coutanche, O Mourant, C S Le Gros, Crill and Benest, W Kitcher, E P Hellyer
  • 1930: P Falla, E Coutanche, O Mourant, C S Le Gros, Crill and Benest, States Auditor W Kitcher, E P Hellyer, Barton Mayhew and Co
  • 1935: O Mourant, W Kitcher, E P Hellyer, Barton Mayhew and Co, General Accident Fire and Life Assurance
  • 1940: O Mourant, H de C Mourant, W Kitcher, E P Hellyer, Barton Mayhew and Co
  • 1950: Mourant du Feu and Jeune, Barton Mayhew, Mrs Keeping
  • 1955: Mourant du Feu and Jeune
  • 1960: Mourant du Feu and Jeune, Yorkshire Assurance
  • 1965: Mourant du Feu and Jeune, Yorkshire Assurance, Eagle Star
  • 1970: Mourant du Feu and Jeune
  • 1980: Mourant du Feu and Jeune - H de C Mourant, P de C Mourant, C A R Du Feu, R R Jeune, D O Moon, K S Baker, K Harrison

Census returns

  • 1851-1881: Amice Hotton, 40, cabinet maker; Ann, 43, nee Mauger; Alfred, Philip, Clement, ANn, Mary, ELizabeth; Elizabeth, 43, shopkeeper
  • 1891: Philip Hotton, 55; Mary and Elizabeth, sisters
  • 1901: Ann Le Clercq, 46, charwoman; Francis, 15, basket maker

Occupation registrations

In 1941 Selina Rachel Keeping, née Vardon (1871- ) and Edward Henry Kitcher (1892-) were living here.

Historic Environment Record entry

1748 Georgian town house - a notable example of a town house of the period.

The five-bay, three-storey Georgian house fronting Hill Street was built by Jean Perrochon in 1748 on land purchased from Moyse Corbet in 1746, and is a notable example of a town house of the period. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

The front façade is stucco with a raised parapet, pantile roof and pair of dressed granite chimneystacks. The windows are timber sashes with rounded upper panes dating to mid-late 19th century. The windows are of diminishing scale on the upper floors and there is an unusual arrangement on the ground floor with two sets of three windows with shutters and shared sills either side of the doorway. The doorway is wide with a pair of three-panel doors and 19th century cornice on console brackets.

The interior has been subject to some remodelling for office accommodation but retains its principal arrangement and notable Georgian features including elegant stairs with unusual flat serpentine balusters, a panelled stair hall, overmantels and panelling in the ground floor and first floor rooms and decorated ceiling cornices. The roof structure, extended to the rear, also retains its 18th century pegged trusses.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs