No 17 Mulcaster Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

17 Mulcaster Street


No 17 is on the right of this group of three buildings

Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

Property name

17 Mulcaster Street


Mulcaster Street, St Helier

Type of property

Early 19th century town house and shop


No recent transactions

Families and businesses associated with the property

Census returns

  • 1861: John Le Roy (70) optician, Mary (57)
  • 1881: Samuel Wright (33) widower, eating house
  • 1891: Frederick Luckarift (30) florist, wife Carterette (24) three children
  • 1901: William Bridle (56) general merchant, wife Elvina (53) two children

Almanac listings

  • 1880: S Wright, eating house
  • 1809: W Luckarift
  • 1895-1900: W Keeping
  • 1905-1925: W G Bridle
  • 1930-1965: C H Cristin [1]

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

No 17 is of significance as an early 19th century shop with integral accommodation above retaining its original external form, scale and elevational proportions, which is of townscape interest and group value. In addition, No 17 retains an unusual and good quality oval plan form staircase.

It is a tangible reminder of the outward growth of the historic core of St Helier in the early-mid 19th century, whose development is bound up with the expansion of the town following the end of the wars with France; a period which had a significant impact on the life and economy of the town and saw the appearance of large scale retail frontages for the first time.

Mulcaster Street formed an important connection from the old town to the newly constructed waterfront and harbour. The building is shown on the 1834 Le Gros Map.

Mid-terrace, three-bay, three-storey shop with accommodation above. The building retains its original external form, scale and elevational proportions, although with loss of some original fabric.

The architectural interest is enhanced by the contribution of the building to a larger group. No 17, together with its neighbours in the block between Wharf Street and Bond Street, and some of the properties on the south side of the street, is of townscape interest forming a collective 19th century street scene sitting between the town church and the weighbridge area. [2]

The only interior feature of interest is the oval plan-form mahogany staircase, which is constructed in a tight spiral continuous from ground floor to the attic.

Notes and references

  1. In 1941 Clarence Henry Cristin (1897- ) was living here with his mother, Ada Jane Cristin, née Ogier (1872- ); his wife Elsie, nee Foster (1897- ) and their children David Foster Cristin (1930- ) and Janet Elizabeth (1935- )
  2. This assessment is identical to that made for Nos 15 and 16
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs