No 20 Broad Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


20 Broad Street,


H22No20BroadStreet.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

Members of the St Helier municipality, led by Constable J E Pinel, pass the Mitre on their way from the Town Hall to the Town Church in 1913

Property name

20 Broad Street

Other names

The Mitre

Location

Broad Street, St Helier. The HER entry suggests that this is a single property with a frontage on King Street, Ruette Haguais and Broad Street

Type of property

Public House

Valuations

No recent transactions

Families and businesses associated with the property

This property, which makes the corner of Broad Street and Rue es Haguais, is the final one on the north side of Broad Street which is a separate property from the King Street shop which backs on to it.

Since 1833, and probably much earlier, it has been a public house, and for much of that time it has been known as the Mitre. For a brief time in the 2000s and '10s it was Bellini's Blue Note Jazz Bar, but now it is the Mitre Hotel again.

In 1833 it was the Rising Sun, managed by Pierre l'Hotellier, who lived there with his wife Elizabeth, nee de Caen, and their son Abraham (1831- ) in 1841.

No 20 was offered for sale in 1861

The next reference to a public house is in the 1881 census, in which John Allen was listed as a master mariner and publican. It is not clear whether the property had ceased to be an inn in the intervening years, but as well as the l'Hotelliers, in 1833 and 1841, Edward Turner was shown there as an ironmonger.

Born in 1791, he was married to Lucinda, nee Lamble (1796- ). They had children Lucinda Mary (1819- ), Jane Harriet (1821- ), Edward Richard (1823- ), John Edward (1824- ) and Edwin James (1827- ). Edward Richard took over the business after the death of his father was was living at No 20 in 1851 with his brothers and sisters. In 1874 there was a commercial directory reference to stationer Mrs R Wallis.

From then onwards it was innkeepers all the way, John Allen in the 1890s being followed by his widow Grace; John Mallet in charge from 1895 to the 1910s; then G Le Blond, Mrs A B Carter in the 1930s, '40s and '50s, F G Fairfax in the '60s and H Parry in the '70s.

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

This prominent mid-19th century corner building contributes to the value of the streetscape and retains some historic features.

Corner building wrapping around end of block. Three storeys, four bays to southwest, corner bay, four bays to southeast (Ruette Haguais), corner bay, and 3 bays to north (King Street).

Roof unseen behind projecting cornice with dentilled frieze. Ionic pilasters framing corner and end bays.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs