No 23 Hill Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

23 Hill Street, St Helier


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

Property name

23 Hill Street


Hill Street, St Helier

Type of property

Early 19th century building, now offices


No recent transactions

Families and businesses associated with the property

Almanac listings

  • 1874: J F Giffard, solicitor. Viscount's office
  • 1880: Receiver-General'soffice; C L Aubin, solicitor; G Simon, solicitor
  • 1886: Bailiff's office; Solicitor-General; C L Aubin, J F Giffard and G Simon, solicitors
  • 1890: Solicitor-General, C L Aubin, J F Giffard, J M Ahier
  • 1895-1900: Solicitor-General, C L Aubin, J F Giffard, F R Le Brun, C S Le Gros, Mrs Jeandron
  • 1905-1910: C L Aubin, J F Giffard, H W Giffard, L Rive, G Herault
  • 1915-1920: C L Aubin, Le Masurier and Giffard, A Le Rossignol, C T Nicolle
  • 1925: Le Masurier and Giffard; L Rive
  • 1930: Le Masurier and Giffard; Jersey Motor Association; F Vitel
  • 1935-1940: Le Masurier, Giffard and Poch; Northern Assurance; F Vitel
  • 1950: Le Masurier, Giffard and Poch; Mrs G Vitel
  • 1955-1965: Le Masurier, Giffard and Poch; Northern Assurance; L H Honey; W Andrews and Co; Channel Wool; Jersey Growers Association; P Ledson Speller
  • 1970: Le Masurier, Giffard and Poch; M H Clapham; W Andrews and Co; A Blondel
  • 1980: Le Masurier Giffard and Poch, Northern Assurance, P H Giffard, M H Clapham

Census returns

  • 1851: Mary Renouf, 76
  • 1871: James Major, 61, merchant; Elizabeth, 56; Emma, Ellen, ALice, Edward and Horace
  • 1891: John Jeandron, 57, mason; Frances, 39
  • 1901: Peter Nolais, 28, railway guard; Alice, 28; Louis, 7, Reginald, 4

Occupation registration

In 1941 Frank Vitel (1893- ), Gabrielle Marie Mathilde Vitel, née Louis (1888- ) and Mary Rubens (1927- ) Bernard Francis Vitel (1925- ) and Raymond Francis Vitel (1927- ) were registered living here

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

This very imposing early 19th century building retains a fine exterior character and many original features.

Three-storey, five-bay. Pitched roof sits behind a parapet, with gable chimneys and rear catslide dormer. Front elevation: notable fully rusticated render finish with bands between ground and first floor and parapet levels. Render plinth. Timber panelled door sits within a matching panelled doorcase, flanked by a pair of large shop-type tripartite windows with granite cills, and vertical pilaster mullions.

High quality mahogany staircase circa 1800, early 19th century six-panel doors with moulded architraves and roundels, window architraves and shutters, and a high quality barley-twist pattern fireplace.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs