No 24 King Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


W16StreetLamp.png


24 King Street


KingStreetEdwardian.jpg


In this photograph taken in the first decade of the 20th century, No 24 is in the centre at the beginning of the row of blinds on the right


24 King Street has been part of Voisin's since 1857. Previously it was occupied by a number of drapers. We can find no reference to the premises in the 1833 and '34 commercial directories which usually provide the earliest information about traders.

A 1937 directory and the 1841 census record the presence of drapers Abraham Le Sueur and William Bell, plus others, and in 1852 Philip John Larbalestier, a linen draper and silk mercer, was listed in the commercial section of the Post Office directory. We have been unable to find any more information about him.

Chronology

  • 1837 - Le Sueur and Co, draper
  • 1841 - Abraham Le Sueur, draper; William Bell, draper + other drapers
  • 1852 - Philip John Larbalestier, linen draper and silk mercer
  • 1857 to date - Voisin's, established 1837 at No 26
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs