No 27 Hill Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Historic Jersey buildings


27 Hill Street, St Helier


H24No27HillStreet.png



Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

27HillSt(onceCalvadosHotel).jpg

Property name

27 Hill Street

Other names

Location

Hill Street, St Helier

Type of property

Bank, then hotel, later offices

Valuations

Sold for £5 million in 2007

Families and businesses associated with the property

Godfray - built as a bank by Philip Godfray in 1842

Almanac listings

  • 1880: C I Supply Association
  • 1886-1900: P Le Maistre
  • 1905-1920: Hotel Continental
  • 1935: G Le B Benest
  • 1940: General Insurance
  • 1955-1960: Tourism Committee, E C Wall, E Bradley, Jersey Motor Cycle and Light Car C lub, Alexander Geddes, S Ferguson, W G Nixey, Caithness Ross Gower, CI Finance Co
  • 1965: R T C Wall, Le Val Construction, J R Murphy, W G Nixey, Guarantee Trust of Jersey, Allens Air Holidays, Armstrong and Edwards, L W Ross Gower
  • 1970: Hillam Ltd, R T C Wall, W G Nixey, Armstrong and Edwards, Guarantee Trust, Ross Gower
  • 1980: Guarantee Trust, T A Le Sueur and Co, Holderness Dunham and Lawson
  • 1990: Guarantee Trust, N D Hanley
Grand-Hotel-du-Calvados-(burnt 1855).jpg

Census returns

  • 1891: P Le Maistre, 63, Draper; Mary Ann, 60
  • 1901: Calvados Hotel, Jules Poucheron, 24; Isabel, 23, Isabel, 3

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

An impressive 1840s building with a fine classical façade. The quality of the architecture marks it out as an exceptional building in the St Helier context.

Fine tall Italianate palace in a style influenced by Barry's Travellers' Club in London. Built as a bank by Philip Godfray in 1842. Converted to the Grand Calvados Hotel circa 1900 [1]. The Jersey Times and British Press Almanac of the time gives the hotel address as Queen Street and Hill Street, and it is thought that carriages passed through a south-side arch in Hill Street and exited into Queen Street - the cobbled carriageway still existing under the building.

Three-storey, three-bay. Front elevation: flat lead roof. Heavily rusticated granite finish, with arched openings at street level and painted plain render finish, with high degree of classical ornamentation including pediments on Corinthian columns and oversailing cornice carried on modillions to upper floors, all framed between rusticated-quoins. Windows on ground floor are of the large pane, arch topped, shop type. French opening type at piano nobile level and nine-pane sashes with horns at the top level, all in timber. High quality six-panel set of double hardwood doors reached by granite steps.

Notes and references

  1. Name changed soon after to Hotel Continental
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs