No 31 Broad Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


31 Broad Street, St Helier


H22No31BroadStreet.jpg


This is one of only four properties on the south side of Broad Street between the Post Office and Charing Cross which was not demolished and rebuilt in the 20th century

Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

Property name

31 Broad Street

Location

Broad Street, St Helier

Type of property

Town house with 18th century or earlier origins, but substantially rebuilt since

Valuations

31 Broad Street and 23 Commercial Street behind sold for £6,340,000 in 2006

Families associated with the property

The Mourant family ran the Jersey Temperance Hotel, later the Commercial Hotel, at 31 Broad Street. This advert is from 1922

Corn merchant John Perchard (1780- ) was shown living at 31 Broad Street in the 1841 census, with his wife Mary (1780- ) and daughter, also Mary (1811- ). He was presumably also trading there because he had featured in a 1833 commercial directory.

The 1851 census recorded ship owner George Le Seelleur (1795- ), the son of WIlliam and Jeanne Ahier, with his wife Ann Marie, nee Le Sauteur (1806- ) and daughter Anne (1825- ). Son George (1828- ) had already left home. An 1852 trade directory showed George as a master mariner. There was no household listed in the 1861 census, but ten years later John Mauger was in residence, although there was no indication of any business being carried on. Upholsterers Crang Brothers were listed at No 31 in an 1874 commercial directory, but this may have been a misprint because in the 1871 census Henry Crang is shown living next door at No 33.

The 1881 census for No 31 lists Edward Mourant (1840- ) a mariner, his wife Lavinia, nee Williams (1845- ), a hotel keeper, and their children Priscilla (1868- ), Lily (1872- ) and John Edward (1874- ) as well as Lavinia's mother Elizabeth. An 1886 almanac reveals that the hotel concerned was the Jersey Temperance Hotel, and E Mourant is shown as proprietor in subsequent listings, although it can hardly have been the original Edward in charge when the hotel was still running in the 1930s.

Jersey Dairies took over the premises by 1940 and were there into the '60s. A 1970 almanac shows that National and Grindlays Bank were at No 31, which also had offices for the States Treasury and Economic Adviser.

More recently the Mortgage Shop occupied the ground floor with a number of professional offices above.

S16Stone31BroadStreet.jpg

Datestones

  • FDPL with PG below, flanked by date 1673 An unusual stone for mother and son, Françoise Le Gallais, nee Du Pré and Philippe Le Gallais. Françoise and Jean Le Gallais were married in St Helier in 1653 and Philippe was baptised in 1663.
  • 16 IS 42 - not interpreted

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A five-bay, three-storey granite fronted building.

Within the building is a chamfered stone door lintel with a shield carved on it with the date 1673. If the datestone is in its original position, the frontage of the house was originally set back from the road.

Chamfered stone in south doorway.

The Richmond Map of 1795 shows some properties along Broad Street stepped back. The current facade is almost certainly a later rebuild.

Old Jersey Houses

The 1673 stone is almost certainly the earliest surviving date on a domestic building in the town of St Helier. [1]

Notes and references

  1. The author does not mention the interpretation of the stone given by HER or the 1642 stone identified at the property
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs