This photograph is a perfect example of the jungle of old cottages and outbuildings which can be found hidden behind the modern facades of many of St Helier's commercial properties
If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
33 Broad Street
Broad Street, St Helier
Type of property
Town house with 18th century origins and some very old buildings at the rear
Sold for £350,000 in 2004 and £450,000 in 2005
Families and businesses associated with the property
One of the street's most important traders was Abraham de Gruchy, whose drapery was at No 33 from 1820 to 1833, before he moved to King Street to establish A de Gruchy and Co, still trading there today.
An 1852 Post Office directory shows Charles Vendenburg trading at 33 Broad Street as a shopkeeper, but fails to mention what type of shop he had. It seems unlikely that he was living at the premises because no occupant is listed in the previous year's census. Ten years earlier the 1841 census showed Edmund Buckland, a baker born in England in 1811, living with his wife Hannah (1811- ) and children James (1831- ), Susan Ellen (1835- ), Louisa Hannah (1839- ) and Ann (1841- ), all born in Jersey. They were baptised in St Helier but the register does not show their mother's maiden name.
The next trader shown at No 33 was tobacconist Aaron Francis Allix (1821-1890) and his wife Sophie Jean, nee Martinet, in 1861. Upholsterer Henry Crang (1830- ) was shown at No 31 in the 1871 census, with his wife Grace (1825- ). An 1874 almanac shows Richard Binet, a carter, living at No 33 with his wife Esther Marie, nee Le Quesne, and sons Richard Edward (1870- ), Philip Clement (1874- ) and Walter John (1879- ). The Binets were still at the premises in 1881 and 1886, with Mrs Binet shown as the occupant in 1890 and 95, and son Richard Edward from 1920 to 1950, followed by Mrs M A Binet in the 1960s. A 1950 almanac also lists G Colligny, who was at 33 Broad Street through to the 1970s.
In 2012 the premises were occupied by Muga Bean Coffee Shop.
Historic Environment Record entry
This building is a survivor of the 18th century development of St. Helier. It retains its overall historic character externally with some historic features.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. Commercial premises, 18th century - comprising a main building facing Broad Street which is linked to a smaller building to the rear. The front building has been radically altered.
Building set in rear yard survives as a reasonably intact 18th century property. Two-storey, four-bay. Rendered with a pitched slate roof. An access passageway runs from the back of this building to Broad Street.