33 King Street
The first recorded occupant of No 33 King Street was brazier John Neel in 1833-34. He may also have been the same John Peel (1801- ), grocer, who is shown as the occupant in the 1841 census?
He was followed by Jean Le Franc, who came to Jersey from Corsica and was a bootmaker at the premises in the 1851 and 1861 censuses. He was married to Susanne from Guernsey.
The next recorded occupant, after a gap in census records, was clothier P Pallot, who also operated from No 31 next door, in 1880. The following year's census, and an 1885 almanac record, show the occupant to be shoemaker George Ching, whose family were also in business in the same trade at various times at No 29 and No 31.
By 1890 J F Huelin was carrying on King Street's favourite trade of drapery, and he was followed by the Assam Tea Company in 1900. Three years later Mrs Ellen Le Ruez had reintroduced the trade of boot dealer, to be followed in 1912 by Morris Barnett's fancy bazaar, C Le C Marett and Cawley Brothers in unknown businesses in 1919 and 1930, respectively, and then H Kleber's ladies' hairdresser from 1940 to 1955.
The property was then acquired by King Street stalwarts Elegance, who ran a perfumery until 2000, when Esprit took over.
- 1833-1834 - John Neel, brazier
- 1841 - John Peel, grocer
- 1851 - Jean Le Franc, of Corsica, bootmaker
- 1861 - Jean Le Franc, bootmaker employing four men
- 1871 - Unoccupied in census return
- 1880 - P Pallot, clothier
- 1881 - George Ching, shoemaker
- 1885 - G Ching, shoemaker
- 1890 - J F Huelin, draper
- 1900 - Assam Tea Company
- 1901 - Mrs Ellen Le Ruez, boot dealer
- 1912 - Morris Barnett, fancy bazaar
- 1919 - C Le C Marett
- 1930 - Cawley Brothers
- 1940-1955 - H Kleber, ladies' hairdresser
- 1960-2000 - Elegance, perfumers
- 2010 - Esprit