No 35 Hill Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Historic Jersey buildings


35 Hill Street, St Helier


H24No35HillStreet.png



Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

F24Danny'sSign.png
F24Danny'sSteps.png

Property name

35 Hill Street

Location

Hill Street, St Helier


Type of property

Mid-18th century town house then offices. Barber shop on first floor since 1960s, or earlier


Valuations

No recent transactions


Families and businesses associated with the property

Hamon: Pierre Hamon is shown as owner on a 1795 map. Datestone PH AC 1737, for Philippe (Pierre?) Hamon and Anne Carter [1]

Almanac listings

  • 1886: Mrs Denit, Mrs Le Four, Mrs J Luce
  • 1890: J Hughes
  • 1900: C Clarke, J G Guiton, C Linton
  • 1905: P Cabot, W Grimshaw
  • 1910: P Cabot, W J Shiner
  • 1915: Charles and F P Le Riche
  • 1920-1930: Mrs Benest
  • 1935: E Brooks, D Duchs
  • 1940: E Brooks, Mrs Le Riche, W Noel
  • 1955-1960: A T Amy, A Bouchere, Studio Elite (1960)
  • 1965-1970: A T Amy
  • 1980-2024: Dannys [2]


Census returns

  • 1851: John Mallet, 26, grocer; Ester, 28. Margaret Hogan, 38, charwoman; Patrick and Morris. P Asplet, 25, sailor; Louisa, 23. William Hodgson, 33, shoemaker; Ann, 28, Ann Louise, John and Joseph
  • 1861: Mary Mourant, 65, Mary, 30, Jane, 28. Elizabeth Filleul, 38, tailoress. Edward Penney, 40, baker; Elizabeth, 35, Thomas,7
  • 1871: John Hodgeson, 26, mariner; Adolphine, 25, Annie and Ada. Charles Robin, 39, porter; Rebecca 40
  • 1881: Mary Ann De La Haye, 56, dressmaker
  • 1891: John Denis, 31, tailor; Ada, 29, John, 1

Occupation registration

In 1941 Eugenie Marie-Louise Manning, née Le Tenon, of 35 (1895- ) and her daughter Patricia Mary Manning (1930- ) were living here, as were George William Cannon (1884- ), Lilly Ellen Cannon, née Ranshaw (1884- ) and their son George William Cannon (1912- )

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

An important survival of a high quality early-mid 18th century town house which retains its character and several historic features of note, including an unusual splat baluster staircase. A Pierre Hamon house shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Mid-terrace, three-storey with basement, top storey later addition, three-bay. Front elevation: slate roof with chimney on west. Hand finished ashlar facade with arched openings. All is framed by a pair of classical pilasters and topped by an eaves level ashlar band. Lined-out render covers the later top level and divides the lower storeys. Windows are 4 pane (2, 2) sashes with horns (the one next to the door has lost its glazing-bars). The street level shop window is a replica of an early 19th century bowed shop window (its original is said to exist in an outbuilding to the rear). The timber panelled door has an overlight and is reached by a flight of granite steps with an early 19th century handrail.

Interior interest includes a very unusual staircase, only six other examples are known, including the staircase at No 16 Hill Street (0400278) built in 1748. They are thought to be the work of one carpenter and may have been inspired but Breton staircases. They are distinctive in having serpentine balusters flat sided as having been cut from boards.

Notes and references

  1. We have not found a record for this couple's marriage and have been unable to place them in any of our Hamon family trees. We have not found any other reference to this datestone, recorded by HER
  2. Although not shown in earlier listings, Dannys men's hairdresser is known to have been in business here since the early 1960s, and remain so in 2024
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs