No 43 Halkett Place

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

43 Halkett Place, St Helier


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

No 43 in the first years of the 20th century, with a much more striking shopfront than in the 21st

Property name

43 Halkett Place

Other names

Renumbered in the 1890s from No 26


Halkett Place, St Helier

Type of property

Town house and shop, making the corner with Waterloo Street


Sold for £450,000 in 2003

From its construction in the late 19th century until the late 1920s, No 43 was occupied by a succession of watchmakers and jewellers - Genge and Company; Edgar Brothers and J Walden, whose business was continued by his widow

Families and businesses associated with the property

  • 1880-1900: J P Genge and Co, watchmakers and jewellers
  • 1910: Edgar Brothers
  • 1915: J Walden
  • 1920: Mrs Walden
  • 1930: Jersey Cafe Company
  • 1941: Occupation registration cards show that Francis James Le Saux (1878- ) was living here in 1941
  • 1950: Beresford Cafe
  • 1975: Tele-Sonic
  • 1980: Pierette
  • 1990: Bentleys
  • 2000: Jersey Pottery

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A prominent, well-preserved late 19th century corner shop in an important location opposite the covered market, in scale with adjacent row, retaining original historic details.

Corner building, four-storey, one bay to east elevation, one corner bay and four bays on Waterloo Sreet. Roof obscured behind parapet. Wall brick with string course at gutter level. Window brick lintels have prominent keystones.

Notes and references

After the Occupation the cafe on the corner with Waterlook Street changed from Jersey Cafe to Beresford Cafe. This photograph was taken in 1968
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs