8 King Street
No 45a (or 45½) King Street was created by the division of the property on the corner with New Cut, No 45 at some time before 1874, during its occupancy by Philip Hamon, a draper. Detailed maps both before and after, show the property as one building, substantially wider on its street frontage than its neighbours.
These King Street premises have caused us many problems, hopefully now all resolved.
Mr Hamon is shown living at No 45 in the 1861 census. An 1874 street directory shows him at 45½, an 1880 almanac gives him as the occupier of No 45, and by 1886 he is shown at 45a. We must assume that when the property was divided, he occupied 45a, and 45, which remained the corner property, was then occupied for some time by shoemaker James Potter.
The photograph of Au Planteur, a tobacconist owned by Georges Barré, on the right identifies the shop as No 45a, but the cover of a map published by the owner (see below) indicates that the business was at both 45 and 45a. We believe that this was not so. We had previously believed that the photograph was taken much earlier than we now know it to have been. A search through almanacs reveals that G Barre was trading at 45a from 1905, or slightly earlier, probably until 1919. His shop was never listed at No 45. The number on the windowsill of the shop is clearly 45a. This is clearly not the corner shop, which is out of frame on the left. The property to the right, No 47, has a facade jutting out into the street. This must have been realigned by 1913, when the map below was drawn up, because it shows a continuous building line from the corner down to the other end of the street.
Georges Barre was a Frenchman, as was his wife Louise. He was born in about 1861 and was shown in the 1891 census as a grocer, living in St Lawrence. By 1901 he was living at Melbourne House in Oxford Road, with Louise, who was four years older. Georges was identified as 'living on own means'.
The first reference we have been able to find in a census to 45a as a separate property was for 1891, when the Le Brocq family was resident. Draper Daniel (1860- ) lived there with wife Alice (1863- ) and children William (1886- ), Florence (1887- ) and Arthur (1890- ).
In 1901 Amandine Tual (1867- ), a jeweller from France, lived at No 45a with her ten-year-old nephew Theophile Saunier and 13-year-old servant Clothilde Gravier, but we have found no record of her trading there.
There was some mystery about the next trader at No 45a. Almanac listings show the property occupied by tobacconist and cigarette manufacturer George de la Haye from 1919 to the 1950s, and advertisements confirm his as G F de La Haye. The only G F de la Haye we were able to find was George Francis, born in 1841, the son of George and Sophie Gavey. But he would have been 78 in 1919, and could clearly not have continued in business for 35 years, before the shop became a photographic outlet.
Then the availability of birth records for parishes other than St Helier identified another George Francis, born in St Peter in 1883, the son of George E De La Haye (1854– ) and Helena Jane Le Cappelain (1853– ). George Francis died in 1952.
- 1874 - Philip Hamon (45)
- 1886 - Philip Hamon (45a)
- 1891 - Daniel Le Brocq, draper
- 1897 - David Allwood
- 1905-1919 - Georges Barre, Au Planteur, tobacconist
- 1919-1955 - George de la Haye, tobacconist
- 1960-2000 - Johnson and Johnson, photographic
- 2010 - Jessops, photographic
- 2018 - Ecco