48 King Street
George Hamon (father and son) silversmiths, traded here until the 1830s, having moved from Hill Street, where the business was founded in 1774 as clockmakers.
The next record we have found for No 48 was in the 1841 census, where Octavious Pitter, tobacconist is recorded as the occupier.
In 1851 No 48 was occupied by confectioner John Bulbeck (1815- ), who employed three men. He came to Jersey from England and married Eliza Clark (1816- ). They had three children, Edward Henry (1839- ), Clara Louise (1842- ), William Edgar (1843- ) and Emily Alice (1846- ). By 1861, John, now described as a pastry cook, had moved with his family to No 32 King Street, and teenager Clara was working in her father’s shop.
Another household at No 48 in 1851 was headed by navy pensioner James Barrington, from Halifax, Canada, living with his wife Cartrite and son John, a boat builder. Also at No 48 was linen draper bachelor Philip Joseph Larbalestier (1819-1872), employing 12 people.
Philip, who is shown in the census to be three years younger than he actually was, was born in St Saviour, the son of Philippe and Marie Brisac.
In 1863 the property became the third acquisition in King Street by the expanding A de Gruchy and Co.
- 1830s - George Hamon, silversmith
- 1837 - Miss Guillet, milliner
- 1841 - Octavius Pitter, tobacconist
- 1851 - John Bulbeck, confectioner
- 1851 - Philip Larbalestier, linen draper
- 1863 - A de Gruchy and Co