No 49 Hill Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Historic Jersey buildings


49 Hill Street, St Helier


H24No49HillStreet.png



Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

Property name

49 Hill Street

Other names

Location

Corner of Hill Street, and Snow Hill, St Helier

Type of property

Hotel and now public house

Valuations

No recent transactions

Families and businesses associated with the property

Almanac listings

  • 1880: Eastern Railway Terminus Hotel, J Hall
  • 1886: R J Brett
  • 1890-1895: G Le Four
  • 1905-1940: A P Jupp
  • 1950-1970: E Le Quelenec
  • 1980: C A Melville

Census returns

  • 1861: William McKee, 45, chair maker, Mary, 41, William, Charles, Albert, Adolphus, Elise Mary, James, George. Henriette James, 33, general dealer, Henriette, 14, dressmaker. Thomas Latherman, 44, gas fitter; Eliza Greave, 36. Victoire Le Moir, 49, market woman, Mary Ann and Peter

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

19th century hotel building, with links to the history of the Jersey Railway. Shown on the 1834 Le Gros map. Previously the Jersey Eastern Railway Terminus Hotel. Listed in the British Press and Jersey Times Almanac of 1880.

End of terrace forming a prominent corner site. Three-storey, four-bay. Front and corner elevation: slate mansard roof with five late 19th century dormers, containing four-pane horned sashes. Painted plain render finish to upper floors, with a render band, probably once belonging to a now lost parapet and a mix of granite ashlars and brick at street level. A mix of modern commercial timber windows and doors at street level and four-pane timber sashes with horns on upper floors.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs