No 4 Bath Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

4 Bath Street, St Helier


The section of Bath Street, originally known as New Bath Street, in 1965. No 4 is the furthest distant of the four properties which were built as one in 1877

Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

No 4 occupies the first two bays, furthest from the camera, of this row of 19th century shops

Property name

4 Bath Street

Other names

This section of the street was created in 1877 as New Bath Street, linking what was then Lower Bath Street to Queen Street. It was almost certainly 2 New Bath Street at the time


Bath Street, St Helier

Type of property

19th century shop, built as one of a row of four properties in 1877, when Bath Street was extended to Queen Street


Sold for £415,000 in 2004

The view from Queen Street in a 1979 Jersey Evening Post photograph. Nos 4-10 followed Dorothy Perkins in the row on the left
Maison Jean can be seen on the right of this 1967 picture

Families associated with the property

Early occupancy is based on the assumption that this was No 4 New Bath Street after the new section was created. For long periods the property was not listed in almanacs

  • Cory: Pork butcher John Cory was the original tenant of this building and is shown trading here in 1880
  • 1880 - J Townsend
  • 1915-1920 - J Mauger
  • 1930 - Maison Cecile
  • 1935-1940 S Mc Kee
  • 1950-1975 - Maison Jean
  • 1970-1975 - Trevor Billington's New Music Centre
  • 1980-1990 - La Bonne Vie

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

Part of linked row of four mid-late 19th century shops that retain their exterior historic character and features.

Three-storey, two-bay. East elevation: Roof obscured behind parapet with heavy projecting cornice at gutter level. Walls rendered with ashlar and keystone effect. Ground floor shopfront framed by pilasters, three-bay with central door. Round headed single pane windows, central door with round headed overlight.

Notes and references

This Jersey Evening Post photograph shows 2-8 Bath Street in 1979. No 4 was the dark shopfront two doors up from the Bel Sit Cafe
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs