Historical Environment Record| This building contributes to the character of this block of King Street with its Victorian articulation and decorative features, with many external historic features remaining. FOur-storey, two-bay. Slate, mansard roof with two box dormers. Wall rendered with ashlar effect. Projecting cornice on double brackets forms gutter, round hopper head. Segmental arched windows have moulded architraves, moulded sills with brackets.
The first occupants of No 57 for whom we have records were grocers E Le Cras, in 1833, followed by James Bisson in 1837. Although both these surnames were in his family at the time, Jerripedia editor Mike Bisson does not recognise either of these gentlemen in his family tree.
Philip William Benham, a 30-year-old hairdresser employing two men was living and working at No 57 King Street in 1851, assisted by his wife Susanna Vinecombe, and cousin Eliza Brake, while widowed mother-in-law Susan Vinecombe looked after the house. The family were still at No 57 in 1861, with Philip’s business having changed to that of footwear, gloves and fancy goods, but Susanna must have died some time after, because by 1869 Philip is married to Elizabeth Hannah Goodenough and they have started a family.
A Mr A Hutchings was advertising boots and shoes for sale in 1862. The premises were unoccupied in 1871, and by 1881 shoemaker Richard Speight (1823- ) had set up in business there. Widower Richard, from England, was living with his 15-year-old daughter Annie.
By 1890 the premises have reverted to selling fancy goods, the fancy bazaar being run by John Stevens (1851- ), his wife Selina (1850- ) who lived there with their son Reginald (1877- ).
Bray's boot and shoe warehouse
They were followed by C Bray, who ran a boot and show warehouse, sometimes trading as Co-operative Stores, from some time in the 1890s until 1900. Then the premises were taken over by hairdresser George Lewis (1847- ), who is shown living there in the 1901 census with wife Emma (1857- ) and Gertrude (1877- ), George (1878- ) and Nellie (1879- ). Gertrude was a dressmaker, George worked for his father and Nellie was a milliner.
After the end of the First World War the Dubras family took over the business and they continued there until the 1980s, trading as a perfumery in later years. The premises were then occupied by Hallmark Cards, and later clothing shops Monsoon and NSEW.
- 1833- E Le Cras, grocer
- 1837- James Bisson, grocer
- 1851-61 - Philip William Benham, hairdresser and then footwear, gloves and fancy goods
- 1862- A Hutchings boots and shoes
- 1881-85 - Richard Speight, shoemaker
- 1890- J Stevens, fancy bazaar
- 1900-1906 C Bray, boot and shoe warehouse
- 1901-1919 - George Lewis, hairdresser
- 1930-1949 - L Dubras, hairdresser
- 1955-1965 - C Dubras, hairdresser and Cafe Normandie
- 1970-1980 - C Dubras
- 1990 - Hallmark Cards
- 2000 - Monsoon
- 2010 - NSEW
Notes and references
- ↑ Many of the start and end dates given for businesses are approximate. As more business advertisements and other records are discovered the dates can be adjusted