No 67 King Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


67 King Street


Sound Engineering have just moved in but there is no shop sign yet

Sound Engineering in 1972

If the two shops further along the street at No 65 and No 63 were aimed at French visitors in the years before the First World War, No 67, when run by Rudolph Frederick Shaw, was marketed as the place for the English to buy their souvenirs and postcards.


The first record we have for the property shows C Robinson, one of the street's earliest hairdressers, trading there in1837.

Broker and outfitter

In 1851 the census shows Isaac Benjamin Asher (68), a broker and outfitter, living with his wife Mary, son Solomon, who assisted in the business, daughter Esther, who helped her mother in the house, and youngest daughter Diana, who was still at school. The family had come to Jersey from London. An older son, Morris, remained in London and emigrated to Australia.

Davey family

The 1861, '71 and '81 censuses show the property unoccupied, although C and J Mallet are known to have run a grocery there in the mid 1880s. In 1891 the Davey family was in residence, with watchmaker Charles (1857- ), born in St Brelade running his business, assisted by his wife Emma (1862- ). They had three children, Pauline (1884- ), Madaline (1885- ) and 4-month-old Dorothy. Charles' nephew William Murray (1869- ) was also living with them. By 1901 they have another daughter, Kathleen (1896- ) and Madaline is recorded as Jessie M.

In 1911 Emma was widowed. Still with her at home are Jessie Madaline, Kathleen Constance, and Dorothy and her new husband Rudolph Frederick Shaw. He is described as a foreman in the census, but he was soon running the business at No 67, no longer selling watches and clocks, but souvenirs and postcards. As did many businesses of this nature, it failed to survive the downturn of the First World War, and by 1919 drapers Southwood and McKenzie are trading at No 67, where they would remain until the 1960s.

They were followed by ladies clothing shop Dorothy Perkins, before it moved to larger premises in Queen Street, and then by Sound Engineering, a record and hi fi shop, run by Barry Roche until 1980, when he moved next door to No 69. He was followed at No 67 by Maison Mohair, House of Gold, Senett and Spears and Benetton.

Sound Engineering

Jerripedia editor Mike Bisson has fond memories of Sound Engineering:

"I spent many happy hours in the company of Barry Roche listening to music played on the latest hi fi equipment. These were the days of vinyl records, and then compact discs, long before our music came to us via the internet to be stored on iPods and the like. Barry Roche was undoubtedly the most knowledgeable supplier of music reproduction equipment in Jersey for many years, and one of the most successful, managing to support the high rent for his King Street premises through the sale of a relatively small number of high value items.
"And there was always an excellent selection of second-hand equipment to complement the latest innovations because I and many loyal Sound Engineering customers would regularly trade up record decks, amplifiers or speakers."

Chronology [1]

  • 1837 - C Robinson
  • 1858 - A Hutchings, bnoots and shoes
  • 1885 - C and J Mallet, grocers
  • 1891-1912 - Charles A Davey, watchmaker
  • c1914 - R F Shaw, souvenirs and postcards
  • 1919-1960 - Southwood and McKenzie, drapers
  • 1965-1970 - Dorothy Perkins
  • 1972-1980 - Sound Engineering
  • 1980 - Maison Mohair
  • 1990 - House of Gold
  • 2000 - Senett and Spears
  • 2010 - Benetton

Notes and references

  1. Many of the start and end dates given for businesses are approximate. As more business advertisements and other records are discovered the dates can be adjusted
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs