If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
6 Broad Street
- Barnes Boarding House
- Athenaeum House
Broad Street, St Helier
Type of property
19th century town house, formerly a lodging house. The property backs on to No 49 King Street and the two were historically in joint ownership.
No recent transactions
Families and businesses associated with the property
Moss and Moore, tailors and drapers, were listed in the 1852 Post Office directory at 6 Broad Street. We do not know anything about Mr Moore, but the 1851 census shows Thomas Moss (1814- ) to have been in residence, and it was a large business because he was employing 30 staff. He was the son of Thomas Moss (1778- ) and Susanne Binet, and grandson of Robert and Judith Cartwright. Thomas was married to Mary Ann, nee Copp (1827- ) and the census shows them living with their daughter Eliza and Thomas's younger sister Ann (1833- ).
There is no record for the premises in the 1871 census, and by 1871 Charles Norman (1831- ) a master draper employing 25 staff is living at No 6 with his wife Anne (1835- ), and children Anne (1860- ), Charles (1862- ), Arthur (1866- ), Edmund (1868- ) and Edith (1870- ). Charles was born in St Martin, the son of Jean Norman, of Guernsey, and Esther Ballieul. The couple were married in Trinity in 1826 and had two further children, James (1834- ) and Esther Elizabeth (1836- ). The Normans, seemingly Charles and his brother James, were in business here until the early 1890s.
Although 1895 and 1900 almanacs do not mention the boarding house, they do record the presence of W G Barnes, which presumably ties in with the Barnes Boarding House shown in the photograph in the box at the top of the page. In 1895 the premises were also home to the French Consulate, which has moved backwards and forwards across St Helier over the decades. By 1910 the property was part of Au Gagne Petit, and then Le Poidevin's from the 1920s, through to the late 20th century. Sun Life Association of Canada also had offices at No 6 in the 1950s and '60s.
Historic Environment Record entry
This early 19th century four-storey, three-bay building, one of the tallest in the street, contributes character to the streetscape with many external and some internal historic features remaining.
Roof unseen behind parapet, rendered chimneys on each gable. Parapet with balustrading between piers on each bay. Projecting cornice at gutter level with foliate brackets.
The only surviving interior feature is a fine flying staircase rising to the third floor. This has slender turned balusters, a rounded mahogany handrail and mahogany applique decoration to the risers. This is a particularly graceful staircase, regency in feel, and sits in a curved stairwell with simple niches. There are 2 round-headed stairwell windows with blind panelled rebates. On the top floor, a blind panelled section of the landing leads to a separate, simpler staircase to the attic.