74 King Street
Banker Edward Falle (74) and his 78-year-old wife Douce, (nee Bailliau) and 42-year-old son Philip lived at No 74 in 1841 and 1851. Not long before 1851 all properties on the north side of King Street were private residences, and it appears that this is one of the few which had not by then been converted to a shop.
Bailliau is a very unusual Jersey name. Only 13 baptisms are found in the church registers and the family appears to have arrived in the island at the end of the first half of the 18th century. Douce was the daughter of Philippe Bailliau and Douce Snow. His baptism is not registered in Jersey. It is likely that he was the elder son of Pierre and Catherine Bridonneau, who appear to have arrived in Jersey around 1750 and had four further children in St Helier where they settled.
There is a good chance that Jacques Bailliau, who was raising a family in St Helier with his wife Jeanne Le Brun at the same time, was Pierre’s brother. The family’s orgins were possibly in the south of Normandy. It has not been possible to trace Edward Falle’s ancestry with any certainty.
The Falles had left by the time of the next census in 1861, and John Best (1806- ) was trading there as a hosier. He lived with his wife Mary Ann (1823- ), and children Frances (1842- ), Henry (1844- ), Alfred (1848- ), Arthur (1851- ) and Ernest (1857- ). The family came from England.
In 1871 the property was occupied by Edward Romeril (1812- ), a draper, baptised Edouard. He was living with his wife Elizabeth, nee Amy, (1811- ) and children John (Jean) (1835- ), Elizabeth (1839- ), Charles (1841- ) and Mary (1842- ). The couple had four other children: Edouard (1833- ), Charles, 1837 and 1838, and George (1844- ). The business and family were still at No 74 in 1871, and also in the household was the Romeril's young grandson Edward Boielle, suggesting a link with other King Street traders of this era.
The Romerils were followed by draper John Baudains (1852- ) from St Peter, who is on record as being present at No 74 in 1885, 1890 and 1891. There is a strange record in the 1901 census, however, because John and Ann Baudains (1849- ), are then shown at No 72 King Street, and tailor Philip Le Brocq (1817- ), who was at No 72 in the 191 census, is at No 74 with his wife Ann (1849- ) in 1901.
The story is complicated still further by a 1903 almanac listing which shows No 74 occupied by Philip James Le Blancq. We have been unable to establish what business he was involved in. He was born in St Helier in 1864, the son of Philip and Elizabeth Ann Poissier.
In the 1910s the property was occupied by cycle dealer A S Landick, followed in the 1930s by Allix and de Gruchy, gents outfitters, and then E Allix, presumably running the same business. Eventually the property became one of King Street's many jewellery outlets in 1990, before being incorporated into W H Smith in the late '90s
- 1861 - John Best, hosier
- 1871 - Edward Romeril, draper
- 1880 - Edward Romeril, tailor
- 1885-1900 - John Baudains, draper
- 1903 - Philip James Le Blancq
- 1910-1920 - A S Landick
- 1925-1940 - Allix and de Gruchy, gents outfitters
- 1945-1955 - E Allix
- 1960 - E T Remon
- 1963 - Donaldsons
- 1965-1980 - Burnett and Co
- 1990 - Richards jewellers
- 2000- W H Smith