75 King Street
The first occupant of 75 King Street we have found is T Much, shown in an 1837 commercial directory as a baker and confectioner.
The property is shown in lists of silversmiths and clockmakers to have been occupied from 1839 to 1845 by James Smith, who was later in partnership with G Bensa. The latter is also recorded as working from this address in 1852, but the 1851 census shows the property as a public house run by innkeeper Thomas Curran (22), born in St Helier, and his 25-year-old English wife Whittar.
Ten years later the innkeeper is Guernseyman William Aspell (1818- ), who is assisted by his wife Sarah Ann (1819- ).
In 1871 mine host is William G Renouf (1838- ), described in the census as a 'master mariner and innkeeper', and living with his wife Helen (1838- ), nee Vardon, and children Helen (1865- ) and Alice (1870- ). Helen's mother, Elizabeth (1804- ) was also in the household.
There must have been something about the public house at No 75 which attracted men of the sea, because the licensee in 1881 was George Laraman (1832- ), also described as a master mariner and publican. He lived on the premises at the time of the 1881 census with his wife Katherine (1829- ) and daughter Kate (1855- ). In between William Renouf and George Laraman, C Allen was publican for a short time.
No 75 seems to have ceased to be a public house some time in the early 1880s, although it may have continued longer with poulterer Mrs Lang merely a resident in 1885.
By 1891 the occupier was Eugene Louis (1836- ) a bootseller from France, living with his French wife Alie (1837- ). (Please note that the surname and wife's forename are very difficult to decipher on the census return.)
'C Hubert' is shown at No 75 in a 1900 almanac, but this is probably an error for the Hubert Couillard (1862- ), a carriage proprietor shown as head of household in the 1901 census, living with his wife Elise (1859- ), a 'restaurant keeper', and their eight-year-old daughter cecile.
In about 1912 Charles Fox (1857- ) moved his antiques business from 5 Le Geyt Street to 75 King Street. It is not known whether it was just the business, or whether he lived there with his wife Elen Olivia (1861- ) and children Emily Adele (1893- ), William Henry (1894- ), Charles George (1896- ) Sarah Phoebe (1898- ), Olivia (1900- ) and Mabel Annie (1903- ).
He was followed at No 75 by Mrs Russell, whose business is unknown, Mad Hatters, from 1949 to 1960, Lawrence the Jeweller and then Jersey Pearl and Aqua
- 1837 - T Much, baker and confectioner
- 1839-45 - James Smith, silversmith and clockmaker; later partnership with G Bensa
- 1851 - Thomas Curran, innkeeper
- 1852 - G Bensa, silversmith and clockmaker
- 1861 - William Aspell, innkeeper
- 1871 - William Renouf, innkeeper
- 1880 - C Allen, publican
- 1881 - George Laraman, publican
- 1885 - Mrs Lang, poulterer
- 1900 - Hubert Couillard
- 1912-1930 - Charles Fox, antique dealer
- 1939 - The Candy Shop, confectioners
- 1940 - Mrs Russell
- 1949-1960 - Mad Hatters
- 1965-1990 - Lawrence jeweller
- 2000 - Jersey Pearl
- 2010 - Aqua