79 King Street
No 79 is the last property on the western end of the south side of King Street. The photographs showwhat a narrow property it is, in the middle of the junction of Charing Cross with King Street and Broad Street
Records show that it was occupied by members of the Quenouillere family from as early as 1857, through to the end of the First World War in 1919, but other occupants are also listed during this period.
Which A Quenouillere was there in 1857 is not known. A history of Jersey's watchmakers and silversmiths shows that Adolphus Quenouillere (1850- ) was in business from 1874 to 1917 and that he was born in Jersey. This is confirmed by the 1881 census, although we have been unable to find a baptism record, suggesting that he was not born in St Helier.
Perhaps it was his father who, after presumably arriving in Jersey from France, set up in business at No 79. But the 1861 shows the premises unoccupied. In 1871 the occupants shown in the census are George Fowler, a boot and shoemaker. George (1844- ) was born in St Helier, and his wife Margaret, nee Portis (1846- ) was born in Ireland. They were living at No 79 with Margaret Ann (1867- ) and George (1870- ). Their third child, Sarah Alice, was not born until 1873.
The 1881 census shows Adolphe Quenouillere living at No 79 with his wife Augustine, nee Lestang, (1857- ) who appears to have come from France with her parents and siblings, because living with them at No 77 were her father Auguste Lestang (1828- ), her mother Marie (1838- ), her brothers George (1868- ) and Emile (1870- ) and sisters Alice (1874- ) and Melina (1880- ).
The 20th century advertisement below for the Clock Tower, shows that the tobacconist's business was established in 1881, but the earlier advertisements for the business at Nos 77 and 79, which are believed to be from the 1870s, suggest that Adolphe, or his father, had a wider range of activities, including watchmaking, silversmith, optician, cycle dealer and manufacturer, and general repairs.
The 1891 census shows Adolphe and Augustine with children Gaston (1882- ) and Raoul (1883- ) and Augustine's mother and sister Melina still living with them.
The 1901 census shows that the family have moved across the street to the property on the corner with Pitt Street, which is variously described over the years as 78 King Street, 7 Pitt Street and 29 Charing Cross.
That census shows Edward Schenker running the tobacconist business at 79 King Street and living there alone. By 1912 A and G Quenouilliere were back in business (presumably Auguste and son Gaston), running a 'fancy repository, and would remain there until at least 1919. By 1930 J Edwards had taken over the tobacconists, followed by A C Gallie in the 1950s and '60s, and then Rowleys.
- 1857-1900 - A Quenouillere, watchmaker
- 1903 - Edward Shenker, tobacconist
- 1912-1919 - A and G Quenouillere, fancy repository
- 1930-1949 - J Edwards, tobacconist
- 1955-1960 - A C Gallie
- 1965 - High Style
- 1970- Rowleys