If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
9 Broad Street
Broad Street, St Helier
Type of property
19th century bank building
The whole property was sold in 2004 for £5.1 million
Families and businesses associated with the property
This property on the corner of Broad Street and Conway Street is one of the most familiar in St Helier. It has been a bank since the early 1870s - first Capital Counties Bank in 1873 (also known as Jersey Joint Stock Banking Company), until the 1920s, and then Lloyds Bank, which it remains to this day. Although this property now makes the corner with Conway Street it was not always so. There was a No 7 Broad Street, which has long since disappeared and must have made the corner with Conway Street until the early 1870s, when the present bank building was constructed and the junction was widened.
From at least 1833 until the late 1840s both No 7 and No 9 were occupied by silversmith Charles Quesnel (1791- ), who may have been the son of fellow silversmiths Jacques or Michel Quesnel. He shared his home with his sisters Ann (1781- ), a haberdasher, and Margaret (1782- ).
There are records from 1851 and 1852 of another pair of sisters, Sarah (1803- ) and Elizabeth (1808- ) Barry at No 7. They were haberdashers.
Tailor Daniel Picot (1794- ) was the last recorded occupant of the property, living at Nos 7 and 9, in 1861 with his wife Elizabeth (1802- ). We believe that she was Betsey Nancy Mauger and that the couple married in Trinity in 1836. They had two children living with them, Louisa Ann (1838-1899) and John (1840- ).
The fact that the Picots are shown as occupying Nos 7 and 9 lends further weight to the view that these premises were on the west side of the Conway Street junction before they were demolished.
In the 1850s 9 Broad Street was home first to stationer John Gruchy (1820- ), his wife Elizabeth (1822- ) and children John (1846- ), Elizabeth (1848- ) and Charles (1850- ). In 1852 tobacconist Nathan Hyam and printer George Romeril were also shows as trading there.
Historic Environment Record entry
A prominent, Classically-composed banking building of 1858 , extended in the 20th century, which adds much to the streetscape value.
The detailing of the earlier buildings is of fine quality and artistic character. The property was extended along Conway Street circa 1910 and post-1953.
One of an important group of historic town centre buildings relating to Jersey's banking heritage. Bank in Italian Renaissance style, with rusticated ground floor supporting a graceful Corinthian columnar order above. Located on the corner of Broad Street and Conway Street, with three bays on Broad Street, corner entrance bay, and seven bays on Conway Street. Roof unseen behind balustraded parapet.
Notes and references
- ↑ This early date for the present building is disputed. We believe that the bank did not open here until 1873 and that in 1858 No 7 Broad Street, which was demolished for road widening and the remainder incorporated into No 9 was still standing