Normannia and Hantonia
The Hantonia and Normannia were sister ships built for the London and South Western Railway in 1910-12 and only operated on Channel Island routes as relief ships. Their normal route was Southampton-Le Havre.
They were built by the Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company of Govan. They were twin screw, coal steam turbines of 1,560 tons gross, 209 feet in length and 36 feetbeam. Their engines developed 4,750 horse power, giving an operating speed of 18 knots.
Hantonia first visited Jersey in 1923, as a replacement for the Caesarea, which had sunk outside St Helier pierheads, and Normannia did not appear in Channel Island waters until 1926. She was sunk in 1940 during World War II at Dunkirk.
Hantonia served as an accommodation vessel during the Second World War. After the war she reopened the Jersey-St Malo service for a short time and was ultimately broken up at Grays, Essex in June 1952.