Notre Dame du Bon Secours
Notre Dame du Bon Secours was a boarding school for boys run in the first half of the 20th century in the building which now houses Highlands College.
In 1891 a French Naval School run by a religious order which had been prevented by new laws from teaching in Brest, in Brittany, settled in Jersey and three years later acquired a site called Highlands in St Saviour. After another three years they were replaced by the Jesuits, who ran the school until 1923, when it was taken over the the Brothers of Christian Education from Ploermel, who set up a missionary school.
During the German Occupation the buildings were used to house 180 occupying forces.
The original chapel is retained as the Great Hall in the centre of the building which is now owned by the States of Jersey and has reverted to its original name as offices for the island's Education Department and Highlands College, the island's higher education college. Anchors on the façade and a statue of the Madonna and Child show the college's past both as a naval college and Catholic institution. The former chapel built by the Jesuits features a magnificent hammer beam room and stained glass windows.
- Royal Naval Training School, how the Royal Navy and the French Navy educated their future officers in Jersey
Click on any image to see a full-size version