Number 2 Charing Cross

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


2 Charing Cross, St Helier


CharingX5.jpg

1920s



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

H22No2CharingX.png

Property name

2 Charing Cross

Location

Charing Cross, St Helier

Type of property

18th century shop building

Valuations

No recent transactions

Families associated with the property

Larbalestier: As well as running their perfumery business here, the Larbalestier family also lived on the premises. In 1941 [[Descendants_of_Philippe_Larbalestier|Alma Beatrice Larbalastier, née Belam (1884- ), widow of Philip (1885,1932), was living here alone

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

An early town building of 18th century origins maintaining exterior features and character. Also of interest associated with the site of Charing Cross Prison.

A rare survival from the early town, of at least 18th century origins. Shown on the Peter Meade Map of 1737 and the Richmond map of 1795.

The old 'town wall' forms part of the boundary wall.

The design of the reconstructed fireplace suggests circa 1700 origins. Old cells from Charing Cross Prison survive beneath the rear yard buildings.

The main building was originally split into two or three shops. The shopfront to the left-hand side is largely Georgian/early Victorian, unusually with remnants of bowed windows. It is likely that the off-centre doorway originally accessed a throughway to the rear yard.

The property was altered in the mid-late 20th century, including restoration of the pitched pantile roof with traditional pattern dormers, and rebuilding of the two right-hand bays and shopfront which had collapsed.

Along the northwest side of the rear yard is a range of two-storey buildings (ten bays in total), running perpendicular to the main building.

Of interest in the interior is the reconstructed granite fireplace (the pieces of which were discovered on the first floor) whose corbels and chamfered uprights suggesting circa 1700 origins - which although altered is a rare survival in town; and the three cells from the former prison beneath the rear yard buildings.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs