If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
- Croix au Lion
- Maison de Janvrin
Rue du Vieux Presbytère, St Peter
Type of property
Sold for £1,140,000 in 2004 and £1.9 million in 2017
Families associated with the property
- 1633 and 1645 - No initials
- IP ILB 1773 for Jacques Payn and Jeanne Le Brocq, who married in St Mary in 1763 
Historic Environment Record entry
The building now called Croix au Lion is shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. It was purchased in 1815 for use as a rectory but eventually used as stables and coach house for a new rectory built next door.
It incorporates early chamfered lintels, four of them accoladed, and two datestones 1633 and 1645. On the apex of the outhouse is a granite cross. These external architectural features are of some significance.
Repairs and alterations in 1877 included the new bay windows and the enlargement of the north west room. Further alterations in the 20th century.
Set back from road in L shape, returning south gable on road. Stone chimney, with dripstones, on west gable; small central chimney. Stone barges. Apex of south gable topped with stone cross.
Walls rubble with dressed stone openings. One window has chamfered stone surround with datestone to cill . The initials stand . Two doors and one window opening have accolade lintels, one window lintel chamfered. Openings on west have been altered in 20th century.
Old Jersey Houses
An entry in Volume One records the purchase of the property in 1815 and the decision to build a new house as the home of the Rev George Balleine, Rector. He was allocated £24,000 tournois for the construction of the building - a massive sum at the time.
Notes and references
- ↑ We have not been able to place them in any of our family trees