Plaisance, St Mary

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


Plaisance, St Mary


H20Plaisance3.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

U20Plaisance1.jpg

Property name

Plaisance

Other names

Location

Rue de la Vallée, next to St Mary’s churchyard

Type of property

Valuations

Families associated with the property

  • Dupré: The current fine granite house must have replaced a much earlier one, as there are two 17th century datestones recording ownership by the Dupré family. One is marked 1645 with the initials of Jean Dupré (1600-57) and his wife Foy Arthur, set into the wall of an extension at the back of the present building. The other stone of 1675, in an outbuilding, has the initials of Jean Dupré junior (1630-1718) who married Sara Renaut.
H20Plaisance6.jpg

Datestones

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

The site includes a fine quality early 19th century house with dower house and a collection of mid-late 19th century farm outbuildings, the dressed grey stone of the dower believed to be reused from a demolished wing of St Mary's Church.

19th century combination farm buildings with glazed upper windows are unique to Jersey and the Channel Islands. Dower house and mid-late 19th century farm outbuildings, with associated gardens and yards.

The property is built on the site of an earlier house, as shown by documentary and cartographic evidence and the presence of two reset 17th century datestones.

The principal house is of more generous proportions than the typical house of its period, being two-storeys with a widely spaced five bays and double-pile plan.

The main south front is rendered in scored ashlar with granite dressings and quoins. The central doorway is arched in granite ashlar, with a fanlight and original twin-panel door. There are later 12-pane timber sashes and glazed timber porch.

H20Plaisance4.jpg

The rear elevation is finished in pierre perdu with a later single-bay extension.

Fronting the house is a walled garden named Le Jardin à Potage.

The interior of the house retains its original plan and many original features, including a spacious entrance hall with stone-flagged floor, dado panelling, a mahogany staircase with swept handrail, six-panel doorcases, panel window linings and fireplaces patterned with Regency decorative devices.

Built on to the east gable of the main house is an unusually large dower house with its own front garden.

Forming a courtyard to the north and east of the main house is an interesting set of associated mid-late 19th century farm outbuildings. The layout of these buildings is partly influenced by the early curved boundary of the adjacent parish churchyard. The outbuildings includes a range of granite pigsties, and a circa 1870s L-plan two-storey combination shed of a form distinctive to Jersey - of rubble granite with chequered brick dressings and a flattened brick arched throughway.

To the north of the site, bordering the churchyard, is a detached two-storey granite cottage incorporating substantial quoins and reused dressed stonework from an earlier property. There is a single storey outbuilding attached to the south.

Old Jersey Houses

Joan Stevens writes in Vol One that the house 'must have been' acquired by Charles Dupré (1536-1600) in about 1658. [1]

Notes and references

  1. This statement, which is clearly nonsense, went uncorrected in later editions. The dates given for Charles are correct, but the house was already owned by his grandson Jean in 1645. If the suggested date of acquisition was meant to be 1558, Charles would have been only 22
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs