If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Pre au Portier
Pre du Portier
Grande Route des Sablons, Grouville
Type of property
17-18th century farmhouse and buildings
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
1707 - no initials
Historic Environment Record entry
An important vernacular farmhouse of early 17-18th century date, and associated farm buildings, with a good survival of original features.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Farm group of main house with wing and farm buildings adjoining it to the east and west. Rendered chimneys with thatch stones visible. Decorated gable kneeler stone at each corner, one dated 1707.
Stonework rendered exposing quoins and window surrounds. Windows have chamfered stone sills, lintels and uprights, the first floor ones having been heightened to accommodate new windows.
Single pile, two rooms wide with central passage. Beams front to back mark location of passage. Ground floor west room upright fireplace stone visible on one side, remainder blocked up. Ground floor east room, granite fireplace reportedly behind current fireplace. First floor east room fireplace blocked up, reportedly includes a Georgian fireplace.
Old Jersey Houses
The name of this Fauvic property, also found as Pré du Portier, is a reference to the Master Porter of Mont Orgueil Castle. It was first associated with the area in 1614, and is noted again in the Extente for 1749.
Most Jersey houses face south, to allow the maximum amount of light to penetrate what were once somewhat small windows. Pré au Portier is unusual in that it faces north. There is a decorated stone on the east gable, and one with a date which is possibly 1706 on the west.
Notes and references
- ↑ In the middle of the 19th century the house was in the ownership of J Godfray, but it has not been possible to identify which branch of the Godfray family he belonged to.