The paddlesteamer Rose was built at the West Park shipyard of F C Clarke for Jersey owner Thomas Rose.
She was launched on 30 May 1851 and the boiler from Superb, which had been salvaged after the vessel was wrecked on the Minquiers, was installed on June 13, before her maiden voyage to Guernsey on 21 July 21. She entered service on the St Malo route on 31 July.
Although destined to be sold to Australia after the service ran into difficulties in 1853, Rose was sold the following year to Giffard Le Quesne, Thomas Rose, George Mann and Charles Orange, as trustees of the Jersey Steam Packet Company, and resumed operations to Granville and St Malo together with the paddle steamer Venus.
On 26 August 1856 Rose had to be rescued by the Sir Francis Drake when she got into difficulties off the Minquiers, and was towed back to Jersey.
Her master in 1859 was Capt E Gaudin.
A rift between shareholders of the company led to her being replaced in 1861 by a faster vessel and she was sold to Captain John de Caen, who had her repaired before sailing for London, where she changed hands twice before crossing the Atlantic intended to take part in the American Civil War. She was too small and slow to make an impression, and although some reports suggest that she was captured by the Confederates, it is more likely that she was destroyed after running aground of Georgetown in 1864.