If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Barm
- Maison de La Retraite
- The Farmhouse
- Balliceaux House
Rue du Vieux Menage, St Saviour
Type of property
Farm group with elements dating back to the 16th century
- Retreat Farm sold for £1,450,000 in 2005
- 1 Retreat Farm sold for £800,000 and for £1.1 million on the same day in 2012
- 3 Retreat Farm sold for £450,000 in 2011
- 4 Retreat Farm (the Farmhouse) sold for £1,685,000 in 2014 and for £1,750,000 (as Balliceaux House) in 2020
- 5 Retreat Farm sold as Maison de la Retraite for £1,287,500 in 2014
Families associated with the property
- PP 1632 I - Probably for Pierre Pipon and Judith Effard who married in St Saviour in 1623
- 17 EN ♥ EMP 60 
- INL ♥ 1785 with a large, raised heart - For Jean Noel 
- 18 INL MRBT 10 - For Jean Noel and Marie Rachel Bertram
Historic Environment Record entry
This is a comprehensive farm group of varying dates and development back to the late 16th century. It retains its exterior character, proportions and historic features from each period.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Two-storey, three-bay 19th century farmhouse (21st century extension to east); with the older 16/17th century two-storey, five-bay farmhouse to the west, returning to north to have gable and single-storey return along north boundary; and a further west wing, terminating in a single-storey lean-to.
Now subdivided into three separate dwellings.  Windows are 6 pane double casements. North wing (west) elevation: slate roof. Rubble wall with dressed stone openings. West wing garden (south) elevation: slate roof, rubble wall. West wing rear (north) elevation: slate roof. Rubble wall with brick dressed openings. Ground floor windows 4 pane (2/2) sashes, first floor 2 pane casement. Boarded doors (and 20th century garage door). The main 16th/17th century house is understood to retain two altered granite fireplaces.
Old Jersey Houses
Included in Vol One as La Retraite.
The present house is quite modern, but the wing to the west is older, and bears dates showing several alterations. The roof level has been raised and there are three chamfered window lintels, two of them the accolade type.
The rest of the entry is taken up with the datestones, only one of which the author attempts to decipher. She dismisses the suggestion that the house's original name indicates that it was a retreat for priests in the Ponterrin area, claiming that there is no evidence that the name, 'still less the house' existed prior to the Reformation.
Notes and references
- ↑ Not included in Datestone Register. If it has been correctly read it would be for Edouard or Edmond Noel but EMP is a mystery and the two sets of initials do not match any marriage record. There is no Edmond or Edouard in the family tree of the Noels shown below. The parents of Jean were Jean Noel (1724-1786) and Elizabeth Marett who married in St Martin in 1750. If the stone was erected for them it should read IN EMR
- ↑ It is unusual to find a datestone with a heart but only one set of initials, and no space left for a wife's initials. It is probable that this stone was erected by Jean, father of the Jean on the next stone, the year before his marriage to Elizabeth Marie Laurens
- ↑ Five, according to property sale records