If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
- Maison du Val Essart
Mont es Tours, St Aubin
Type of property
19th century house with earlier 17th century house
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- Hocquard: F Hocquard on 1849 Godfray map
- de Gruchy: Jurat Guy de Gruchy lived in this house as a child, from 1875 when his father, William Laurence de Gruchy bought it from Jean Carrel. He was living here in 1884 when he took out a life insurance policy with the West of England Fire and Life Insurance Company for the benefit of Augusta Chamber de Gruchy, his wife, and in subsequent years when he took out four more policies with different companies. He left the house to his son Guy, who in turn left it to his daughter Elizabeth Noemi. It was requisitioned by the Germans on 29 September 1941
- Mauger: In 1901 widower James Marcus Mauger (1810- ) was living here with his daughters Ellen (1840- ), Anna (1842- ) and Alice (1844- ) and son Horace (1859- ), a bank cashier 
- 1634 and 1648, no initials
Historic Environment Record entry
A fine 1830s villa, with earlier 17th century house, in a scenic setting overlooking St Aubin's Bay, retaining original features of architectural and historic interest.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Regency house adjoining earlier four-bay 17th century house to west, with two-bay extension. Detached further west is late 19th century stable/coach house.
Classical-style garden temple, and entrance gateway to east.
Old Jersey Houses
The entry in Vol Two locates the house in Mont du Boulevard, but although there seems to be some disagreement about where this road ends and Mont es Tours starts, it seems clear that the house is on the latter road, as shown in HER.
The entry refers to the earlier property, Maison du Val Essart, built in about 1630.
The old part has a round arch measuring 7ft 3in by 4ft, higher than normal but apparently unaltered.
Two ground floor windows have their original accolade lintels, but all those on the first floor have been heightened.
The main bedroom has its end wall panelled in the typical early 18th century manner.
The new house, built by Hocquard, has mahogany doors and an imposing curved staircase which introudes into two rooms, forming a curved buttress within them.
Notes and references
- ↑ The family name was inexplicably spelt Major in the census. It was not a question of the enumerator, Frank Salmon Godfray, born in St Peter, not being familiar with the spelling of the Jersey family name, because he correctly entered the Mauger family living next door at Waverley Farm