The Rover, commanded by Captain Joshua Bennet, joined the Earl of Chesterfield as the first vessels to carry official mail between England and the Channel Islands in 1794.
These two cutters were identical in appearance, both built of oak at Bridport in Dorset. They weighed 80 tons and were 50ft in length with a 12ft beam. During the war they were armed with carriage guns and small arms.
The crossing from Weymouth (in good weather) took these vessels 16 hours for a distance of 85 miles.
The Rover was wrecked on rocks off Alderney in about 1825 but the crew and passengers were saved.