Saut Falluet

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


Saut Falluet, St Peter


H20SautFallouetStP.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

Property name

Saut Falluet

Location

Rue du Saut Falluet, St Peter

Type of property

Early 18th century farm

Valuations

No recent transactions

Families associated with the property

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

An early 18th century farmhouse which retains its historic exterior character and is illustrative of local vernacular building of the period.

The house retains its original internal plan form and some features of its historic interior.

The later 19th century single-storey east building and the entrance porch are of lesser architectural value.

Early 1700s with later 19th century roof. The house is clearly shown on the 1795 Richmond Map.

The earliest named entry in the Public Registry records that the property was sold by Thomas Le Feuvre to Jean Le Dain in 1815. The house was later owned by the Methodist Church between 1870 and 1951, when it was purchased by the Du Feu family.

Located on Jersey's western plateau, the house sits in a sheltered area at the head of a valley; a stream running alongside the east of the property.

The site is accessed at the end of a historic trackway off Rue du Saut Falluet.

The principal building is constructed in the Jersey vernacular tradition. It faces south-west and is of a four-bay, two-storey design, which predates the fashion for symmetrical 5-bay houses.

The external stone walls (believed to be of shale-like construction, likely with granite dressings) are currently rendered, and have a distinct batter and thickness. The window apertures on the south front appear of relatively small proportions (indicating an earlier date), although they are regularly sized and spaced with shorter openings on the first floor. There is a wide straight-topped doorway in the second bay.

The north elevation is blank except for a single window lighting the stairs. The west gable is blank except for a single shuttered opening into the loft. The east gable has a pair of loft vents and a small opening at first floor level (the opening is not visible to the interior but appears to be aligned with a bedroom cupboard).

The slate roof with a pair of brick chimneystacks is a later 19th century addition.

The building retains its early 1700s internal plan form: an entrance hall with a staircase set at its north end, a single bay room to the west, and a double-bay room to the east. The layout is repeated on the first floor with the addition of a small 'cabinet' above the hall.

The roof structure appears to be of a standard 19th century design.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs