This farmhouse contains part of a very thick wall and buttress which Joan Stevens in the first volume of her Old Jersey Houses says was 'without doubt' part of the Chapel of St Blaise, named after the bishop of Sebaste in Armenia who was martyred in AD 316.
The author believed that the present house was built in 1771, because there is a stone in the north wall bearing that date.
It was owned by the Le Marinel family for ten generations as evidenced by stones inscribed ILM ♥♥1818 and 18 TLM ♥♥ MR 89. Strangely Mrs Stevens made no attempt to identify the Le Marinels for whom these stones was carved. The Jersey Datestone Index offers no information on the former, but records that the second stone was carved for Thomas Le Marinel, son of Thomas and Marie Remon, daughter of Helier, who were married in St John on 9 May 1889. The first stone is yet another example of Jersey datestones with a raised section left to carve the initials of a wife, who for some reason never appeared.
As their family tree shows, Thomas was the son of Thomas, himself the son of another Thomas. We believe that the property may have passed to him from his father Jean, following the death of his elder brother, Jean Clement and his only son, and that it was this Jean for whom the ILM 1818 stone was carved. However, this is purely conjecture, because there seems to have been no other Jean, or another Le Marinel whose given name starts with J, alive at the time.
The disappearance in the late 20th century of folders of Channel Island Family History Society transcriptions of St John records makes it very difficult to track the Le Marinel family tree in the parish with any degree of certainty.
Strangely Jean and Esther Le Gros, although both from St John, were married in St Clement in 1782, and this may have been the reason why they gave their first-born son the second forename Clement, which is found nowhere else in the family.