St Patrick

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search
St Patrick passes Corbiere Lighthouse

In 1930 the Great Western Railway Company had the St Patrick, the second of three vessels in Channel Island service to bear the name, built by Alexender Stephen and Sons, Glasgow, as a relief vessel for services to the Channel Islands and Ireland. She was a twin screw turbine steamer of 1,922 tons, speed 19 knots, and first came to Jersey on 18 April 1930, only operating to the islands during July and August in subsequent years.

On 5 August 1932, she struck the Frouquie rock off La Moye in fog. Her passengers were taken off by the Isle of Sark and the St Patrick was towed to St Helier by the St Julien, badly damaged.

In 1937 St Patrick was back on island routes while the St Helier was in dry dock.

She was lost during the second World War in 1941 having been bombed and sunk in the Irish sea.

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs