The Halt

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


The Halt, St Clement


H21TheHaltSt-C1.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

Property name

The Halt

Other names

Pontorson Lane Crossing Keeper's Cottage

Location

Rue de La Croix, St Clement

Type of property

Former railway keeper's cottage

Valuations

Sold for £202,500 in 2008 and £135,000 in 2011

Families associated with the property

None positively identified. 1941 registrations seem to suggest that the property was divided into four units, although it is difficto see how this was possible

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A simple crossing keeper’s cottage surviving from Jersey’s Victorian railway network. The Halt was built as Pontorson Lane crossing keeper’s cottage for the Jersey Eastern Railway in 1925.

The halt opened in 1925 and closed on 21 June 1929 and has since been demolished. This was one of a number of halts proposed in 1925 in an attempt to stem the decline in passenger numbers due to the bus service. It was sited on the downside of the line and consisted of a timber platform. The cottage retains its simple utilitarian historic form.

Single storey, four-bay with small extensions at each end. Rendered walls and slate roof. Single chimney at centre. Plain interior.

The historic setting is clearly discernible, with the former railway crossing surviving as a road junction, and the line of the railway marked out by post-war ribbon development.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs