If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
- Holly Cottage
- The Hollies Cottage
Rue du Crocquet, St Aubin
Type of property
17th century merchant's house of considerable architectural interest
- The Hollies was sold for £715,000 in 2008
- The Hollies Cottage, renamed Holly Cottage, was sold for £775,000 in 2012
Families associated with the property
- Dart: In 1941 Gerald John Dart (1883- ) and his wife Edith Mary Ann, nee Lawford (1882- ) were living here
Historic Environment Record entry
Merchant's house dating to the late seventeenth century, with features of particular significance to the architectural history of Jersey. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
The house is five-bay, two-storey with a cellar and later attic level. The construction is of rubble granite with dressed stonework around the windows and doors, and elongated quoins. There is a gable stone dated 1683.
A double flight of Portland stone steps leads up to a timber porch and raised doorway. Below is the former merchant's cellar that is accessed via a smaller external doorway. The cellar has an earth floor and sturdily joisted ceiling.
On the front façade of the house are the earliest known surviving examples of timber sash windows in Jersey - thought to date to pre-1750. The windows have a fixed upper sash with a top row of lights that swing forward to open.
The interior of the house retains its original plan form and has a significant survival of early fabric and features. Of particular note is one of the earliest surviving timber staircases in Jersey - with urn balusters, and splats at the second storey level.
Other early joinery includes raised and fielded panel doors, chimneypieces and panelled walling. The upper storey has seen some remodelling with the façade raised and casement windows added. The original pegged timber roof trusses with a diagonally set ridge piece have also been strengthened.
Old Jersey Houses
A brief entry in Volume Two refers to the gable stone dated 1683, but argues that the windows cannot be this early. The facade of the upper storey has been refacesd, 'doubtless when the thatched roof was replaced'. There is a cellar, as indeed there is in most houses in St Aubin, to serve the needs of its busy and enterprising merchants. The book contains an illustration of the early wooden staircase, dated to 1683