The fire at St Ouen's Manor
From The Islander
Fire at St Ouen’s Manor brought out the brigade on the morning of 6 March 1940. Our photograph shows this historic building, oldest and most interesting of Jersey’s manor houses, as viewed from the south, with the south-east wing, where the fire occurred, on the right
Germans rescue valuables
German soldiers rescued valuable pictures and furniture from the lovely old drawing room where Charles II was entertained in 1649, but the wood plaqque bearing the King’s coat-of-arms, as painted for him at the time of his sojourn here, perished in the blaze. It may be seen in our photograph of the drawing room, above the fireplace, where, in the course of recent restorations, it was incorporated with the panelling.
The combined exertions of firemen and soldiers prevented the flames from spreading beyond the south0east wing, and we may be thankful that the manor’s granite walls still stand today as they have stood for so many centuries past and as we hope they will for many more to come.