Origin of Surname
There are two theories of the origin of the surname Tostevin:
- From old French toster du vin meaning broiled in wine (Larousse dictionary of French surnames).
- An inhabitant of the town of Tostes in Normandy (in the same way that Poitevin is used to refer to someone from the French region of Poitou).
This is essentially a Guernsey family, but descendants moved to and settled in Jersey in the early 19th century (see tree below), creating a branch which eventually produced emigrants to Adelaide, Australia, and Minnesota, USA.
The earliest reference to the surname Tostevin in Guernsey was a Nicolas Tostevin who emigrated from Brittany in around 1514.
From information in a booklet found in the St Pierre du Bois church two stone masons called Tostevin came from Brittany to help build the church and stayed in St Pierre du Bois. One of those men was Nicolas Tostevin. The family had a long connection with the church in helping maintain it.
- Descendants of Pierre Tostevin, a Guernsey family which moved to Jersey and has branches in Australia and the USA
- Tostevin baptisms in Jersey
- Tostevin marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Tostevin marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Tostevin burials in Jersey
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Tostevin family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Rebecca Tostevin, 20 Colomberie, St Helier - 31 December 1948, D/Y/A/120
- William Tostevin, 42 Aquila Road, St Helier - 15 May 1937, D/Y/A/100
- Charlotte Tostevin, Allegro House, Millbrook, widow - 17 June 1925, D/Y/A/85
- Peter Tostevin, Alton Lodge, Val Plaisant, St Helier - 19 April 1922, D/Y/A/82
- Nicholas Tostevin, Avenue House, Parade Road, St Helier, desires to be buried in Almorah Cemetery - 24 January 1931, D/Y/A/91
- George Tostevin, Millbrook St Helier, bequeaths to Charlotte Vallance Gale for life the property Allegro House, St Aubins Road, reversion to Mary Grose Tostevin - 1 December 1922, D/Y/A/82
Album of family pictures of Tostevins from Jersey, Australia and elsewhere
Click on any image to see a full-size version
1887 advert for William Tostevin's building and plastering business
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form